Data Protection Policy
Betania Church GDPR policy
What Is The GDPR?
• The EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) replaces the Data Protection Directive 95/46/EC and is designed to harmonise data privacy laws across Europe.
• Your privacy is important to Betania Church and we take our responsibility regarding the security of your personal data very seriously.
• We are committed to protecting your personal data, as well as, being transparent about the information we store and collect about you and what we do with it.
• We aim to ensure that, when processing personal data, we will use that data lawfully, fairly and transparently; only for the purpose it was originally collected for, and we will request only the data that is relevant and necessary.
• We will endeavour to ensure such data is accurate; is only kept for as long as is necessary and otherwise permanently deleted, and kept secure and confidential.
Our Grounds For Processing Your Personal Data
• Betania Church may rely on a number of legal bases for collecting personal data.
• Our legal bases for processing your data are ‘legitimate interests’. By ‘legitimate interests’ we mean for a genuine purpose, necessary for the smooth running of the church life/ministries, and not invasive to your privacy. For all other purposes we will ask for your clear and affirmative consent before processing your details.
• If you are appointed to a specific role within the life of the church we may publish your details or share them directly so members and other relevant individuals/organisations can contact you. This will cease when you step down from the role.
• We occasionally post photographs and/or video taken at church events on our websites, social media or in our publications.
• We will not share your information with any other third parties without your permission unless we have a legal obligation to do so.
Reasons Why We Collect Personal Data
• To encourage you and provide pastoral care to you as part of the church family.
• Keep you informed about life in the church family, notify you about planned activities in which you or your family might have an interest.
• Submission of donor information as part of the Charitable Donations Tax scheme.
• Betania Church is multi-cultural and holds many different events during the course of the year for the congregation. You may have documented your nationality when you completed the Church contact card. This information will only be used in the planning of events.
• Records kept to fulfil legal obligations.
The Principles Which Will Be Applied By Betania Church In Relation To The Processing Of Personal Data
• Your personal data shall be processed lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner. At the time of providing personal information, you will be made aware of:
◦ Who is collecting your personal data
◦ Why we are collecting your personal data
◦ Who will have access to your personal data
• Your data will be collected for specified, explicit and legitimate purposes and not further processed in a manner that is incompatible with those purposes. Betania Church will ensure that you are aware of the reason why the personal data is being collected and furthermore you will be assured that Betania Church will not use the data for any other purpose without your prior consent.
• Betania Church will conduct periodic reviews to ensure that relevant data is kept accurate and up-to-date.
• Betania Church will ensure that your personal data is adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary in relation to the purposes for which they were originally collected. Data which is not relevant to such processing will be deleted/destroyed.
• Betania Church will keep your personal data in a form which permits identification of the data subject for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which the personal data was collected.
Where The Understanding Of Consent By The Data Subject May Be In Doubt
• Where a person by reason of his or her physical or mental incapacity or age, is or is likely to be unable to appreciate the nature and effect of giving consent, such consent may be given by a close relative.
• Parental consent will be obtained where personal data is to be held for children under the age of 16.
• Consent to continue to hold the personal data will be obtained from the child when he/she reaches the age of 16. Where consent is not obtained personal data will be permanently deleted.
• When relying on consent from a child, we will ensure that the child understands what they are consenting to, the reasons why we are holding their personal data and their rights under GDPR.
Personal Data Held In Respect Of Donations
• Donor details and donations are recorded weekly and stored on tithing records and password protected computer files maintained exclusively by the Finance Team.
• Donations are aggregated annually and where the donor has completed a Revenue Enduring Certificate/Annual Certificate, an online application will be made on the Revenue ROS website for a tax refund which if approved is paid directly into the Betania Church bank account.
• Under Revenue rules, Betania Church is required to retain donor information in respect of tax refunds for a period of 6 years. Donor data which is either not required in respect of tax refunds or which has been retained on file for 6 years will be permanently deleted.
• Donations will be recorded for audit purposes and retained on our donor database. If you do not wish to have your details stored on our donor database please email us at the contact address below.
Personal Public Service Numbers (PPSNs)
• PPSN’s are recorded by donors on the Revenue Enduring Certificate.
• The Revenue Enduring Certificate will be used solely by Betania Church for the annual Revenue Tax refund scheme.
• The Revenue Enduring Certificate will be stored securely in a locked archive box until due for destruction as outlined above.
• PPSN numbers will not be held in digital format.
Your Rights In Respect Of Your Personal Data
• You have the right to obtain, from Betania Church, confirmation as to whether or not personal data concerning you is being processed, and where that is the case, access to the personal data. Our subject access policy which is available on request will provide further detail for you.
• You have the right to obtain, from Betania Church, without undue delay the rectification of inaccurate personal data concerning you.
• You have the right to obtain from the controller the erasure of personal data concerning you without undue delay.
• You have the right to restrict Betania Church from processing your personal data.
• In response to a request, Betania Church shall communicate any rectification or erasure of personal data or restriction of processing carried out in respect of your personal data.
• You have the right to receive the personal data concerning you in a concise, transparent, intelligible and easily accessible form.
• You have the right to object, on grounds relating to your particular situation, at any time to the processing of personal data concerning you by Betania Church unless legal obligations requires Betania Church to retain the data.
• You have the right not to be subject to a decision based solely on automated processing, including profiling, which produces legal effects concerning you or similarly significantly affects you.
• You have the right to lodge a complaint if you are unhappy with the processing of your personal data with the Data Protection Commission.
• Betania Church undertakes not to retain personal data for any longer than is necessary. As an organisation, we are required to retain certain records, usually for a specific amount of time. Examples of these records are documents containing personal data that is collected for the Charitable Donations Scheme.
• Betania Church will monitor and identify records that have met their required retention period and arrange their deletion or destruction.
• Betania Church will employ high standards of security in order to protect the personal data under its care. Appropriate security measures will be taken to protect against unauthorised access to, or alteration, destruction or disclosure of any personal data held by Betania Church. Access to personal data is limited to staff members who have appropriate authorisation and password access.
• Our website only uses essential cookies which are necessary to provide you with the information that is available on our website.
• Our website does not automatically capture or store personal information during use unless you sign up for an event or activity or to receive communications from Betania Church.
Changes To The Privacy Statement
• Any changes to this Privacy Statement will be posted on this website so you are always aware of what information we collect, how we use it, and under what circumstances, if any, we disclose it.
• If at any time we decide to use Personal Data in a manner significantly different from that stated in this website Privacy Statement, or otherwise disclosed to you at the time it was collected, we will notify you by e-mail, and you will have a choice as to whether or not we use your information in the new manner.
• We will post this Privacy Notice on our website.
If you have any questions regarding the above statement please contact our Office on 087 405 8977 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
We undertake to respond to your query within 72 hours.
If you wish to download a copy of the GDPR policy it can be found on www.betania.ie